Pastel de tres leches

Smoothie Mexicano

Ahhhh...the taste of Mexico in a glass! This Saturday is Cinco de Mayo, so you still have time to get ingredients to make your own festive Smoothie Mexicano for breakfast Saturday morning.

The Mexican holiday Cinco de Mayo (May 5th) celebrates the Battle of Puebla, 1862, in which the Mexican Militia triumphed over the French army of Napolean III (and not to be confused with Mexican Independence Day, September 16th, when we all shout "Vive Mexico!"). 

I have my own history with Mexico, having once upon a time worked, lived, laughed, and loved on both the Caribbean and Pacific coasts of this beautiful country. So, while preparing a basic avocado smoothie for breakfast this morning, I decided to throw in a few magic ingredients that would transform it into the Smoothie Mexicano in honour of Mexico, the upcoming Cinco de Mayo, and good health. It combines some hallmark flavours of Mexico (avocado, lime, honey, vanilla, cinnamon), and reminds me of all those wonderful people, warm sun, palm trees, surf, reefs, fantastic food, great music and dancing ...

my old hood - San Miguel, Cozumel

I did a little online research into this taste-triggering-memories phenomenon and found out that it has a name: the Proustian Effect. Here is a seemingly smart guy explaining it:



Maybe you didn't watch the whole video, but I was interested to learn how this effect can be used in a negative way to deter coyotes from eating one's sheep. Perhaps I should lace a chicken with lithium chloride for Ms. Fox's next dinner.

I have also experienced the wrath of the Proustian Effect after losing a tequila contest with Terrell and Merv in Tenerife. It wasn't even Mexico! So, although I referred to it as "the taste of Mexico in a glass" you will not find tequila in the list of ingredients for my Smoothie Mexicano, no matter how much my sister thinks it might be a good idea. No habanero sauce either.

ingredients

Smoothie Mexicano

Toss these in the blender:
  • 1 semi-frozen avocado (I bought a whole bag of about-to-perish avocados at the grocery store, marked down 50%! I took them home and threw them in the freezer for future smoothies. Same with mangoes for the Chanango Smoothie)
  • 1/2 cup of plain yoghurt
  • honey to taste (1 tsp)
  • vanilla to taste (1/2 tsp)
  • cinnamon to taste (at least 1/2 tsp pleeeeeeease!)
  • squeeze about 1/4 of a fresh lime in there
  • add enough cold water to get a pourable consistency (1+ cups)
Blend until smooth. This makes about 3 cups/servings. 

Click here to listen to Radio Mas Veracruz while you are sipping your Smoothie Mexicano.


 Salud!